Your search results

Niagara County Courthouse

Project Overview

Project Name: Niagara County Courthouse & County Clerk’s Office 
Project Location: 175 Hawley Street  & 139 Niagara Street, Lockport, NY
Scope of Work: Nationally Historic Restoration 
Summary of Project & Results: The Niagara County Courthouse and County Clerk’s Office were built in 1886 and 1856, respectively, and were first listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. The scope of work involved renovations to some of the oldest areas within both buildings, which is why the project qualified for a state historic preservation grant. Upon completion, Casilio’s efforts were celebrated by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for effectively stabilizing the integrity of both buildings and for maximizing their use and accessibility by engineering innovative solutions to counter issues related to the antiquated means of original construction. The Niagara County Courthouse required re-roofing throughout the building surrounding its dome pinnacle, and to provide insulation to the interior of the dome itself in an effort to conserve heat. Elaborate ornamentations were also constructed throughout the interior of the courthouse to reflect its historic nature, having been built in the Second Empire architectural style. The County Clerk’s Office required refurbishments to its skylight. Like the Courthouse, the County Clerk’s Office was poorly insulated, and as such did not conserve heat effectively. Casilio’s work allowed the facility to dramatically cut down on heating and ventilation expenses.